Tuesday, November 24, 2009

rest and rev up


Tonight was so full of drama.

The opening scene began when Rufus our adorable pet hamster flew out of my hand. He suddenly ran away from my palm into (literally) thin air and fell 40cm, landing on the cold hard floor. He was in shock for a few seconds before slowly moving his limbs again.

I was worried he’d be too injured, so I slowly scooped him back into his cage, gave him some gentle pats and fed him. After a quick dinner, he slept. Keeping my fingers crossed that he’d be fine.

The second scene was much more tiring, and as heart-wrenching as the first episode. Mom was in one her “brain block” moments and refused to take her medicine. Dad said she had been this way the whole week, which I could imagine was rather frustrating. Tonight, she just sat there with the bitter medicine in her mouth, refusing to swallow.

We tried coaxing her, tried reasoning, tried to use the I’m-the-boss-just-swallow-it tone … but nothing quite worked. She spitted it out. Sounds dumb that we were trying to reason with a brain damaged person, but we were desperate and had to try any possible way.

Trudging through the increasing exasperation, we kept asking her again and again to quickly swallow the medicine. Finally she did it, after Dad spoke as sternly as a school discipline master.

Are there some days you just feel like nothing seems to go right?

Sometimes I have such challenging days, and today seemed to jot itself down as one of those yucky days. When I know it’s a “bad weather” day, what gets me going is the hope that tomorrow will get better.

So tonight I shall just plonk onto the bed earlier and have a good rest. A recharged me to welcome the new tomorrow sounds good to me!


kate

No comments:

Post a Comment